Frequently Asked Questions

1)    How do I set up a water Account on the system? 
First apply for service using our service application. This application is a PDF form and must be printed and mailed along with a $90.00 deposit. We accept checks, or money orders made payable to Riverview Community Water System (RCWS). Be sure to include your address on the deposit.
2)    I did not receive a bill this month. What is an easy way to find out what I owe?
You can always call, or E-mail us to determine the amount owed (see “Contact Us”). If you have been living in your residence for a few months and have a good idea of what your “average” water bill should be, you can simply pay the “average” payment.  Be sure to include a note stating that the bill was never received. If you are a few dollars over on the payment, you will receive a credit for the next month. If you are a few dollars under, this amount will be added to the next bill.
3)    Can I make an electronic payment directly to the water system for my monthly bill?
Yes! Please go to our Online Bill Pay page to make a payment.
4)    What is the mailing/E-mail address for RCWS?
Click here for contact information.
5)    Does the RCWS have any direct employees?
No. The board members are volunteers that work “day” jobs in the region. The technicians that do repair work on the system are actually employees of the Fort Mill Water Department who are paid for each repair that they make on the RCWS. In addition, these technicians aid in performing necessary documentation and inspections that are required by the State of South Carolina and DHEC for all water systems and providers in South Carolina.
6)    What type of water system is the RCWS?
RCWS is a “community owned” water system. This means that all households on the system represent ownership of the system. This form of ownership came about due to the lack of a municipal water system in the Riverview section of York County in the early 1960’s.
Members of the community had asked for water service from several different municipalities and were declined for a host of reasons. The members than applied for, and received a grant from the federal government to start their own water system. The Riverview Rural Community Water District was chartered by the State of South Carolina on December 5, 1967 and has supplied water to the Riverview section of York County since then. The original water system had about 60 households and has since grown to over 900 households.
7)    Where does the water come from that is supplied by the RCWS?
The water comes from Rock Hill by way of Fort Mill. The city of Rock Hill pumps water from the Catawba River and purifies it for distribution to its own customers as well as municipal customers. The town of Fort Mill buys water directly from Rock Hill. The RCWS has a contract to buy water from Fort Mill.
8)    How often is the water tested for contaminants?
RCWS is required to test its water quarterly. An independent testing laboratory draws water from selected sites within the system, which represent a cross section of geographic areas on the water system. The results of this testing are supplied to Riverview, as well as the State of South Carolina. By law, we are required to publish the results of this testing at least once per year. The test results are posted in the Fort Mill Times as well as online.
In addition, all systems in RCWS’s water supply chain are required to perform independent quarterly testing. This means that the water you are drinking will be tested at least 12 times over the course of a year.
9)    Who are the Board members that comprise the Board of the RCWS?
All board members are required to be users of RCWS. The current board members are: Sam Leslie, Chair, Wayne Hunter, Treasurer, Billy Howle, Allen Gray, Harrison Marks, and Steve Strokis.
10)    Does the RCWS have a physical office?
No. In order to keep operating/overhead expenses and customer water bills to an ultimate minimum, we outsource accounting, maintenance and communications.
The RCWS Board of Directors meets at the Riverview Community Volunteer Fire Station located on the Harris Road Extension on the first Wednesday of each month, at 7:30 p.m. Customers are welcome to attend.
11)    What is the tax status of the RCWS?
RCWS is a 501C3 non-profit organization.
12)    When I call the number on the back of my bill, who am I speaking with?
During regular business hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm., you’ll reach Sally Hunter our Customer Service Representative. After hours and weekends you will be connected to our answering service.
After hours calls will be responded to within 24 hours; weekend calls will be responded to on the first following business day.  Emergency calls at all times are responded to immediately
13)    My irrigation bill seems high, what are some of the causes of this high bill?
There are a host of reasons for an irrigation bill being too high. In some cases the meter may have been misread, or is broken.  Although human and mechanical error is responsible in some instances, they account for less than 5 percent of the bills considered too high.
When a bad meter is suspected, we will remove the meter and have it bench tested by the City of Fort Mill Water Department.  If the meter is found to be inaccurate, we will recalibrate or replace as necessary; as well as adjust the customer’s bill accordingly.
The single biggest factors contributing to a high irrigation bill are due to the operation and setup of an irrigation system itself.  It is important to note, RCWS is not responsible for the installation, operation and/or maintenance of any attachments to our system beyond the meter; including irrigation systems.
We strongly recommend anyone having, or contemplating the installation of an irrigation system, thoroughly understand its operating procedures as set forth by the manufacturer(s) of the respective parts and ensure the system is installed by qualified contractors, using the proper pipes, fittings and controls.  In most cases of bills considered too high, it is simply because the system is programmed incorrectly, infrastructure isn’t installed up to specifications or its integrity has been compromised.
Bottom line - be sure anyone programming/operating your system is qualified and well versed in your specific system and setup.
14)    What should I do if I spot a water leak or suspect that I have a water leak at the meter?
The best response is to pick up the phone and contact us. Leaks of any kind take the highest priority and are acted upon without delay. A technician is dispatched to ascertain the situation and act accordingly.  Please note, if the problem is on the customers side of the meter it is their responsibility to have the situation addressed.  Often, in these situations our technician is able to provide guidance in mitigating the problem.
15)    If Riverview Water supplies my domestic water, who supplies sewer service and trash pickup?
If RCWS supplies water service to your household, you are living in the unincorporated Riverview section of York County. However, the town of Fort Mill provides your sewer service.  For all information, inquiries and issues associated with your sewer service contact the Fort Mill Sewer Department.
Private carriers provide trash service in Riverview.  It is up to the home owner to contract with a private carrier. 
16)    My water is off and I do not know why.
1) The service disruption is temporary due to a needed water system repair or an emergency.
2) You have missed a payment and Riverview has disconnected your service. If this is the case, we will leave a door hangar at your residence with information on what to do to have your service reconnected.
3) The City of Fort Mill Sewer Department has turned off your water service due to issues associated with your sewer service.